What are mice?
Mice are small rodents and regular invaders of homes and businesses. Over time, they have learned to take advantage of food and shelter that people and our structures provide to them. Mice have a round or oval body covered in a light brown or gray fur. Their belly is lighter in color than the top of their body. The mouse’s ears and tail have a light layer of velvety fur.
Mice are nocturnal and are most active when we are sleeping. Usually, people only see mice in their homes if there is a large infestation. Their dark droppings are rice-like in size and shape, and finding them in your house is one of the first things that alert people to an infestation.
Are mice dangerous?
Spreading things like salmonella, E. coli, and other pathogens that make people ill, mice are dangerous pests that should not live in any North Carolina home or business. In addition to health risks, other problems that mice cause include:
- Structural damage by chewing through wires, pipes, drywall, and more
- Damage to personal items by chewing holes through upholstered furniture, clothing, boxes, rugs, pictures, and books
- Causing a musty odor to develop around their nesting site
- Short circuits or fires after gnawing on wires
- Water damage after chewing through pipes
Why do I have a mouse problem?
Mice are omnivores, feeding on trash, livestock feed, garden crops, seeds, insects, and whatever else they come across. Attracted to any property that offers them access to food and shelter, almost any residential property, farm, or urban building could come under attack from mice. Check out this blog for more information: “All The Ways Mice Get Into Your Home“.
Where will I find mice?
Mice are active year-round. They do not hibernate, but they do search for warm, secluded shelter to get them through the colder months. While it is true that mice often move into our homes while searching for a place to overwinter, they may move in at any time of year.
In homes and other structures, mice create their dome-shaped nests in hard to reach areas like behind wall voids, behind large appliances, behind cabinets, inside the backs of cupboards, and in attics. When living outside, they take shelter in woodpiles, rock crevices, dense vegetation, and tall grass. Tree hollows and tree stumps are two of their favorite hiding spots.
How do I get rid of mice?
Win the war against mice and other pests with the help of an experienced professional. At Innovative Pest Solutions, we can provide fast and effective pest control services in Raleigh, NC that home and business owners can trust. We get rid of pests and stop them from coming back!
Protecting our customer’s home, health, and the environment are our top priorities. To learn more about our locally owned and operated company and our affordable pest solutions, reach out today! We will be happy to provide you with information about our home pest control options.
How can I prevent mice in the future?
To prevent mice from becoming a problem on your Raleigh, North Carolina property, partner with Innovative Pest Solutions. Also, implement the following tips to guard your home against mice:
- On a routine basis, inspect the outside of your home looking for and repairing any entry points. Mice can enter through spaces the diameter of a pencil.
- Cut back vegetation from your home’s exterior walls that mice may use for nesting or hiding.
- Mice love pet food. Pick up uneaten pet food every evening.
- Bird feeders attract mice and other rodents to properties. Remove bird feeders or place them far away from your home’s exterior.
- Keep lids on trash cans, recycling bins, and compost bins.
- After eating, quickly clean up any leftover food and food debris either inside or outside of your home.
- Despite their small size, mice have powerful jaws and sharp front teeth. Prevent them from chewing their way into your home by sealing spaces around wires and pipes with steel wool.
Helpful Mice Articles
Everything You Should Know About House Mice In Raleigh
How Dangerous Is It To Have Mice In My Raleigh Home?
The Ultimate Mouse Control Guide For Raleigh Property Owners
Why Can’t I Get These Mice Out Of My Raleigh Home?
Why It Is Almost Impossible To Keep Mice Out Of Your Raleigh Home