Once cockroaches get into your home, it is hard to get them out. The roaches in Raleigh are resilient, resourceful, and persistent. But you’re not without options. If you apply pest maintenance, it is possible to deter cockroaches and make them want to live somewhere else. It isn’t easy, but the results are rewarding.
Step 1: Exclusion
When it comes to household pests, there are a few key factors that you have control over. Cockroaches and other pests get into your home for one reason. If you’re not aware of the reason, it may actually surprise you. Cockroaches and general household pests don’t know what is inside your home. They don’t get in for the food or water. They get inside because they’re drawn to tight spaces. They squeeze under the bark of trees. They squeeze into the cracks of rocks. They tunnel in the ground, where they are compacted all the time. If a pest finds a gap or crack in your exterior walls, it is going to explore it. This is why cockroaches get in. The first step in getting rid of cockroaches is to stop roaches from getting in. Do a detailed inspection of your exterior and seal entry points. A caulking gun and expanding foam can help you get this accomplished.
Step 2: Attraction
A secondary reason roaches get into your home is that they are first attracted to your exterior and perimeter. When you reduce roaches around the outside of your home, you’ll have fewer roaches taking advantage of any entry points you’ve failed to seal.
- Address conditions that cause dampness or puddles.
- Remove containers that capture rainwater.
- Trim vegetation, remove leaves, and address other yard work that helps to remove humid habitats.
- Remove objects roaches can hide under.
- Remove food sources. Keep in mind that cockroaches prefer things that are rotting.
Step 3: Interior Management
The cockroaches in your home will thrive if they have moisture and food options. These tips are to help make your home less hospitable to roaches.
- Fix leaking faucets and any other plumbing issues.
- Use your bathroom fan when you take a bath or shower.
- Install dehumidifiers if you have areas of your home that stay humid.
- Clean. Clean. Clean. The food debris in your home is a food source for roaches.
- Remove your trash and keep your trash in a covered receptacle.
- Store your foods in sealed containers. This keeps roaches out and the smell of food in.
- Put pet food down only when it is mealtime for your pets.
Pest Maintenance Works
If you take the steps above, you can bring cockroach populations down below an acceptable threshold and prevent health issues and damage they can cause. But, when roach pressures are high, or conditions allow roaches to reproduce quickly, pest control is required. This is best performed by a trained and experienced professional. There are many ways DIY treatments can fail. Not only will this cost you money, time, and energy, but it will also prolong your misery.
There are two ways you can get rid of cockroaches with professional services. You can request cockroach extermination and have your current infestation dealt with or you can invest in ongoing pest control to keep roaches and a long list of other pests out of your home. We can assist you with either. If you live in Raleigh, North Carolina, reach out to Innovative Pest Solutions today. Our team is looking forward to helping you find the right pest control solutions for your specific needs. We’re here to help. Jump over to our contact page and drop us a line to get started.