Cockroaches are insects that belong to the Blattodea order, which is the same category as termites. There are more than 4,000 different species of cockroaches. They are a pest that is very adaptable and opportunistic and will happily move into a home for food, water, or shelter. Some of their common characteristics include having six legs, long antennae, an egg-shaped style body, and wings, although most do not fly.
Most Common Types Found In This Region
North Carolina homeowners often encounter the following types of cockroaches:
- Smoky brown cockroaches: Although they tend to prefer garden areas, the smoky brown cockroach is attracted to lighting and will sometimes move indoors. Their body has a shiny black or reddish-brown color, with middle-length wings.
- Wood cockroaches: The wood cockroach typically has a body of ¾ of an inch long with a brown body and tan-colored wings. These pests are commonly carried indoors with firewood.
- American cockroaches: Among the most common to invade U.S. homes, the American cockroach has a brownish body with yellow markings. This species is incredibly resilient and difficult to eradicate once indoors.
- German cockroaches: They have brown or tan-colored bodies with dark stripes and usually measure ½ to ¾ of an inch long. The German cockroach is known for its ability to move very rapidly.
What Are The Health Risks That Cockroaches Pose?
During their travels, cockroaches encounter a host of parasites and pathogens that contaminate surfaces, food, etc. They are known carriers of salmonellosis, E.coli, and typhoid fever, and those with allergies or respiratory conditions often have adverse reactions to them.
The Best Practices For Preventing Cockroaches
- Limit any access to food by cleaning up crumbs and spills and removing uneaten pet food.
- Ensure that kitchen-area trash cans have tight-fitting lids.
- Rinse containers to remove any residue before placing them in recycling bins.
- Inspect the exterior of the home for cracks or openings near the foundation or around doors and windows, and apply a durable sealant.
The Truth About Effectively Eradicating Pests
Some residents who recognize cockroaches’ presence will consider do-it-yourself home treatment options from online retailers or local stores. These products, including fogging systems, bait stations, aerosol sprays, and granular formulas, are often marketed using farfetched claims of effectiveness. Unfortunately, property owners who try these options generally find that they are merely capable of mediocre short-term results that are aggravating.
The best initial response to pest invasions is to speak with a licensed pest control professional with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to eliminate these problems completely. Your home is among your largest investments and deserves responsive attention from experts.
Experienced Pest Extermination Company In Raleigh
Since 2002, the locally-owned team of experts at Innovative Pest Solutions has been providing effective and affordable solutions for customers dealing with unwanted intrusions from termites, fire ants, ticks, bed bugs, and various other critters. We are committed to the health and safety of our clients and their pets and adhere to the best practices of the North Carolina Pest Management Association (NCPMA) for protecting our local ecosystem. The NCPMA has been educating the state’s industry leaders now for 70 years and has established a Pest Control Technician’s School.
All property owners in the Raleigh region are reminded to ask about our comprehensive year-round pest treatment plans that feature tri-annual visits by one of our licensed technicians that prevents problems with bothersome pests before they start. These options include our 1-2-3 Basic, 1-2-3 Plus, and 1-2-3 Premium packages that feature free booster treatments when necessary. Contact us today for a thorough interior and exterior property inspection and a free estimate.