Nothing will put you more on edge than discovering a yellow jacket nest on your property, but what should you do about it? Do yellow jackets bite? Do yellow jackets nest in the ground? Here’s what homeowners should know about identifying yellow jackets, how to get rid of yellow jackets, and how you can keep them away permanently.
Is This A Yellow Jacket?
So, you’ve spotted what looks like a wasp or a wasp nest on your property, but how do you know it’s a yellow jacket? Fortunately, a yellow jacket’s appearance differs from other stinging insects quite a bit, which makes them easier to identify on sight. These critters have segmented bodies and thin waists, a black-and-yellow pattern on their bodies, six legs, and elongated wings.
Here are a few other key facts that can help you recognize the behavior of a yellow jacket when you encounter one:
- Yellow jackets build paper-like nests from saliva and chewed up cellulose and prefer to build their nests in the ground if they can. Other possible locations for yellow jacket nests include under decks or porches.
- Unlike honeybees, a yellow jacket’s stinger doesn’t detach when they sting someone, so they can sting repeatedly.
- Yellow jackets are aggressive defenders of their nest, and when they face a threat, they release pheromones that signal to other yellow jackets that they need help. This is also why yellow jackets often attack in swarms versus just a single wasp.
Unfortunately, their aggressive behavior and swarm attacks are why yellow jackets can be incredibly dangerous to have on your property.
The Best Way To Get Rid Of Yellow Jackets
Because they have the potential to be dangerous if you get too close, the best way to get rid of yellow jackets on your property is by letting the professionals at Innovative Pest Solutions remove the yellow jacket nest. We’ve got the equipment, training, and experience to safely remove any yellow jacket nests from your property without risking you or your loved ones.
If you think you may have an active or abandoned wasp nest around your home, don’t put yourself in harm’s way. Instead, contact us today at Innovative Pest Solutions to learn more about our yellow jacket control and yellow jacket removal services.
What Kind Of Things Attract Yellow Jackets?
Although yellow jackets can wander on your property by accident, it’s also possible to attract these stinging insects without realizing it. Your property may look more attractive to these pests than you realize. Here’s what may be attracting yellow jackets to your home:
- Lots of flowering plants: Yellow jackets are pollinators, so lots of flowers and bright, fragrant plants can draw them in.
- Gardens: Even if you don’t have a lot of flowers, yellow jackets may still want to hang around your garden so they can eat one of their favorite foods, garden-damaging pests.
- Sugary drinks and foods: Just as sweet flowers attract wasps, so do sugary drinks and foods, including the sweets that may be rotting in your garbage or scraps from a cookout.
- Holes and open cavities in the ground: Yellow jackets may be looking for a place to settle down, and they’re more likely to make their nests in open cavities in the ground or holes in decks and porches.
There’s no shortage of things that can attract yellow jackets to your property, but the things listed above are some of the biggest attractions for these wasps.
How To Keep Yellow Jackets Away From Your Home For Good
Along with knowing what attracts yellow jackets, it’s good to know how to keep them away from your property. Some of the biggest ways to prevent these pests include:
- Avoid planting too many flowers close to your home, and aim to plant things that repel yellow jackets, like lemongrass and rosemary.
- Make sure you’re not leaving full trash cans out for too long, and you’re picking up after picnics or cookouts in the yard.
- Fill any open holes in the ground and repair cracks or gaps that are visible on porches, decks, or sheds.
- Closely inspect your property for signs of a yellow jacket or wasp nest on a regular basis.
If you do find what you believe to be a yellow jacket nest, you should never approach it on your own. The safest way to get rid of yellow jackets is by working with the professionals at Innovative Pest Solutions. We can help you rid your Chapel Hill home of yellow jackets and other pests.