We have several ant species that make themselves pests in our Raleigh service area. The first step in getting rid of ants is to figure out what type of ant you’re dealing with. Some ants prefer to establish themselves near solid objects and will create nests near your foundation walls, next to walkways, or along your driveway. Some ants create nests in the middle of your yard in the open sun. Some will create nests in decaying wood in your deck, porch, or home. Some nest inside electrical equipment. Ants have different habitat preferences. They also have different food preferences, and behavior patterns. These preferences must be taken into account if you want to select the right baits and deploy them in the correct locations. But, even when you do, there are other issues that can arise.
Things That Work, Sometimes Don’t Work
If this isn’t your first rodeo, you’re aware that baits and mound treatments are the two ways to directly target and deal with ant problems. These get to the source of the problem rather than just treating the symptom. Let’s discuss this first since it is likely that you have some knowledge of ant control already. It is possible to have success correcting a problem previously, and then find yourself frustrated with the ants you’re currently dealing with. Here are a few reasons why:
- Some ants eat sweets and some eat protein. If you deploy a protein bait to stop sweet eaters, you’ll be frustrated with the results.
- If you deploy a bait in the wrong location, it can become inert.
- If you deploy too much bait or select a bait that works too quickly, it can result in bait avoidance.
- If you administer a mound treatment, it can fail to get deep enough to address the nest. Some ant species can create nests as far as ten feet below the surface.
- There could be mitigating factors that are causing you to have higher than normal ant pressures, or attracting ants to your home. These may need to be addressed in order to achieve control.
Proper identification of your ant pest and the correct selection and implementation of ant control products is required for effective ant control, every time.
Things That Don’t Work Just Don’t Work
It is amazing how many things don’t work to get control of ants. We could write pages and pages. But, for the sake of brevity, here are a few things of which you should be aware:
- Sprays are topical. They don’t attack the source of the problem, which is the nest inside the ground or inside your home.
- Products that kill ants on contact aren’t successful. Ants learn to avoid areas that are dangerous. These products can also cause a nest to bud. This will turn one nest into two or more nests.
- Essential oils are a natural way to deter ants and other pests. Unfortunately, they don’t stay active for very long. You can spray these to keep ants out of your home and find ants coming inside the very next day.
Common Ants In Raleigh
We have a variety of pests in our area. The four most common ant pests are fire ants, odorous house ants, little black ants, and carpenter ants. Each of these ant species presents a somewhat unique challenge. At Innovative Pest Solutions, our technicians are very familiar with these common ant pests as well as a long list of other ant species that show up from time to time. The best way to get rid of ants on your Raleigh property is to let our team take care of the problem for you. Not only will we get the results you want, you’ll avoid a pitfall that many residents deal with. What pitfall is that? They spend money on ant control products and expend a lot of energy attempting to address the problem themselves only to turn around and pay money out again to hire a licensed pest professional. Skip the middleman, go straight to the best solution.
For one-time ant control or ongoing ant and pest control for your Raleigh home, you can count on Innovative Pest Solutions to provide you with industry-leading solutions. We use field-tested methods and the products recommended by industry experts. There is very little guesswork. We work with these pests all the time and we have a track record for getting results.
Take The Next Step
If you have questions or you’d like to request a pest control evaluation for your Raleigh home, connect with us today. We look forward to helping you find the right pest control solution for your specific needs and budget. When you want innovative solutions, the best choice is Innovative Pest Solutions.