The Dangers Roaches Bring To Raleigh Homes
August 6, 2021
While there are over fifty cockroach species in the world, the residents of Raleigh, North Carolina really only need to worry about five:
- German cockroaches: With narrow, oval-shaped bodies, German cockroaches are the most common in the world, and a big-time pest for North Carolina home and business owners.
- American cockroaches: As the largest species of cockroach at over two inches in length, American cockroaches are oblong-shaped with a yellow band behind their head.
- Brown-banded cockroaches: Brown-banded cockroaches avoid the light, and differ in color based on gender. Male brown-banded cockroaches are brown while females tend to have brown-black coloring.
- Oriental cockroaches: Dark brown in color, these roaches are the dirtiest out of the four and prefer dark, moist areas with decaying animal and plant life.
- Wood cockroaches: With reddish-brown coloring, wood cockroaches are rarely found inside, and prefer to make their homes outdoors.
Regardless of which species is invading your home, it’s not good news – cockroaches are tricky to get out once they’ve made their way inside. Here’s what you need to know about cockroach behavior, how dangerous they are, and what to do if you’ve got an infestation.
Do Cockroaches Only Invade Dirty Homes In Raleigh, NC?
When most people think about cockroach infestations, they assume that they only happen in cluttered, filthy homes – but this is a myth. While homes that lack hygiene or good housekeeping may provide easier access to food and water sources for cockroaches, these pests aren’t picky about where they take shelter.
Roach infestations can happen even in homes that get cleaned regularly if the location of your house happens to be convenient to the right roaches. These pests are incredibly resourceful – not only can they crawl through tiny cracks or gaps to gain access, but they’re even capable of surviving without their heads for an entire week.
So, while spotting a cockroach may make you wonder about your housekeeping skills, keep in mind that these roaches will settle for any home, whether it’s clean or not.
How Dangerous Are Cockroaches In Raleigh, NC?
Not only are cockroaches far from the prettiest pest, but these critters also come with plenty of health issues. When they infest your home, cockroaches can cause all sorts of problems, including:
- They may carry bacteria and pathogens, like staph and strep infections.
- They can contaminate your food and spread contaminants like dead skin, spoiled food, or even animal flesh, which can cause food poisoning.
- They often cause problems for people with allergies or asthma because their saliva, droppings, and even shell casings that can contain allergens.
Even if you don’t struggle with allergies, that doesn’t mean you’ll be immune to some of the harmful bacteria that cockroaches can carry with them or the contaminants that they may spread around your home.
The Best Way To Handle A Cockroach Infestation In Raleigh, NC
As persistent as they are, getting rid of cockroaches can be almost impossible for homeowners to accomplish on their own. The best way to handle an active cockroach infestation in your North Carolina home is with professional help – like those of us at Innovative Pest Solutions.
Not only are our experienced professionals well-trained when it comes to completely eliminating cockroaches from your home, but we’re also committed to making sure they don’t come back. Call us today to learn more about Innovative Pest Solutions’ cockroach control program and what we can do to help in your Raleigh home.