Here's How Ants Get Into Your Raleigh Home
September 30, 2020
Have you ever heard of cause and effect? It is when one situation triggers another to occur, such as when a bug bite causes you to have to itch, or an anchor stops a ship from moving. Today we will be looking at the cause and effect situations that lead to ant infestations. To do this, we will be evaluating how ants get inside, and what you should be doing to keep them out of your Raleigh home.
Ants Common Around Raleigh
North Carolina is home to several species of ants. Some live primarily outdoors; others prefer to nest within the wall and ceiling voids of structures. There is even once species that will construct their nests right into the wood of a home. Here is a basic description of Raleigh’s most common ant pests and what you need to know about each.
- Argentine Ants : Argentine ants are dark brown to black, shiny, and are 1/16-¼” long. In general, these pests are what you would expect when you hear the word ant. They invade homes in lines, scavenge for food, and annoy homeowners with their presence.
- Fire Ants : Fire ants live primarily outdoors and are identifiable by their dark reddish-brown, ⅛-⅜” long bodies. Around yards, these pests cause trouble with their painful bites and stings. If you are walking outside barefoot, be careful not to traverse close to where these ants are nesting.
- Little Black Ants : Little black ants are 1/16” long and have dark brown to jet-black bodies. Due to their small size and ability to slip through tiny cracks, these pests are one of the most common home invaders here in Raleigh. Thankfully, they are not dangerous and do not bite or sting.
- Carpenter Ants : Carpenter ants are the largest species of ant in America and can grow to be ⅝” long. Identifiable by their red, black, and sometimes red and black bodies, these pests get their name from the way they construct their nests into wooden structures. This is especially problematic when the structure these pests decide to nest in is your home.
What Draws Ants Inside
Ants need three things to survive, moisture, food, and shelter. If your home provides ants with these three basic necessities, they will be much more likely to invade. To reduce factors that attract ants around your home, use these simple prevention tips:
- Eliminate clutter and debris from around your yard
- Trim back bushes and tree branches from your home’s exterior
- Fix leaky piping and fixtures around your property and inside your home
- Make sure your gutters are clean and working properly
- Pick up dropped fruit in your yard and clean up after outdoor gatherings
- Clean your home thoroughly and regularly
- Store leftover food inside airtight plastic, glass, or metal containers
- Clean out your pet’s food and water bowls after they finish with them
- Make sure your trash cans have tight-fitting lids
How To Ensure Ants Stay Out
Due to the small size of ants, there is no way to fully seal your home’s exterior so they cannot get inside. The best thing you can do to keep ants out of your home is to hire a professional. At Innovative Pest Solutions, we offer detailed and effective treatments designed to eliminate and exclude ants. With our friendly team on your side, you won’t have to worry about annoying, destructive, and dangerous ants ever again.
Give us a call today to discuss our available pest control plans and to find one that best fits your individual needs and will protect your home. We promise you will not be disappointed.