As spring gets closer and the weather gets warmer throughout the Triangle, more bugs will be popping up. Especially ants. Those tiny creatures seem to pop up out of nowhere and once there’s a big infestation, they can be difficult to get rid of.
Here are five tips on keeping ants away from your house:
- Keep it clean. If ants have no food to get, then they have no reason to be in your home. Limit where food can be in the house and keep those areas clean.
- Seal it up. Check around the house for loose weather stripping or small cracks where ants can find their way inside. Replace the weather stripping or recaulk as needed. A good way to know where ants are coming in is to follow their trail. Ants usually take food back to the colony, so following their work will help you figure out how they’re coming in.
- Check outside. Take a look outside the home and check for ant hills and signs of ant infestations. While you’re at it, make sure there are no easy food sources for them. Lollipops on the swing set, an errant hot dog bun from last weekend’s party...it’s easy to leave food behind outside that will attract ants.
- Trim greenery. Trim plants and bushes so they don’t touch your house. This will cut back on more ways for pests to get into the home.
- Call in the pros. Regular pest control will maintain a barrier between your home and the ants. Also, a professional will be able to take care of any problems before they escalate to a serious issue.
Taking precautions and acting quickly if a problem arises can help keep ants away from your home. To set up a consultation on pest control solutions, contact us today.